Pool Village Hall is a Charity, number 523803. The Trusts objectives are to use the hall for the inhabitants of Pool-in-Wharfedale and the neighbourhood without discrimination, for meetings, lectures. classes and for other forms of recreation and leisure time occupation, to improve the condition of life of and benefit the public in the area
The hall, at Arthington Lane, Pool in Whafedale, Otley, West Yorkshire, LS21 1LG was built to commemorate those who served in both world wars and William L. Whiteley who had given much to the village. The Hall was considered to have been so well designed by Chippendale & Edmondson, Bradford, that the Yorkshire Rural Community Council exhibited the drawings at the Great Yorkshire Show in 1955 and the National Council of Social Services at Reading, at that time it was believed to be the “largest and most modernly equipped Hall of its kind in the country”. The assembly Hall built to seat 234 persons with maple floor for dancing, badminton or table tennis and a stage.
Mr D.H. Whiteley’s uncle, William, followed by the father of Mr. D.H. Whiteley, Holmes, dug the first sod. There were speeches to a gathering of villagers. Dignitaries include Ronald Thackray of Bradford (the architect) and Colonel Sir Frank Brook, D.S.O., M.C., D.L. and H.M. Inspector of Constabulary, retired (past chief constable of the West Riding).
For the Pool Village Memorial Hall Appeal a target chart was erected opposite the White Hart pub, on Stocks Hill, and updated every month to record the progress of the appeal for funds, the target was £13,000. The village worked very hard to reach this figure, holding whist drives, dances, balloon races, garden parties, stage presentations, raffles, sales of work, coffee mornings, and even “Men only” smoking evenings. The Whiteley family made contributions both personally and from the paper mill.
A War Memorial stone was laid (also in memory of Mr D.H.Whiteley’s grandfather, William L.), by his father, Holmes and uncle, William and the Rev. E. Southworth.The hall was opened by Marion, Countess of Harewood on 2nd August 1958.